Monday, May 21, 2007

the sixteenth of May!

The sixteenth of May 1948, is in part why we are here today.
It's the day Dadu and Dida (my parents got married).
From what I know, Dadu and Dida were neighbours in Akola's Civil Lines area. Mom's father was a school teacher and Dadu's dad was a lawyer who didn't want to be a lawyer. He sent away clients whom he thought were gulity, with a flea in their ear. Anyway, they sort of grew up together and decided they wanted to get married. No one has told me the details but Dadu refused to marry anyone but Dida and in spite of the fact that it created severe angst in Dadu's mother, they prevailed. And on the 16th of May, 1948, they were married.
Imagine had they not, we would have been different people.... or would we have even been here...????? Any guesses....??
Dadu and Dida were therefore a bit ahead of their times in this as well as in most other things. Dadu's mother was a mother-in-law in the traditional mould who didn't believe in equality for daughters-in-law. I guess she wasn't ahead of her time like Dida.
In those days, they used to know the names of seven preceding generations. I don't... I will need to find out. So if any of you know better than me, please let me know. Welcome your comments, additions, suggestions.
I think my Dida was Janaki and my Dadu was Venkatesh; Father's Dad was Ramchandra and I don't know his Mom's name.....! I have never seen either of my grandparents. I believe my great grandfather, Nanabhau Mudholkar, my Father's mother's Dad saw me when I was a few months old.
Peculiar, isn't it to have been blessed by your great-grandfather and not by any of your grandparents???? Well all of you have been lucky in that respect... you have seen your grandparents.
In fact, most of you have spent some time with them. Vids and Shvets have been the luckiest in this regard.
Do tell me what your fave three memories of Dadu and Dida are. They may be individual to Dadu and Dida which is fine. Waiting to hear from you guys.

1 comment:

J.Brahma said...

I remember once when i was small..Dadu was in nagar and every evening at around 7 we used to go for a walk and every day he used to buy me a toffee from Prasad stores (next to our place)..it was real fun...and has clocked into my memory forever...